If you've come to this page, you're probably already know what Heat Shrink End Caps are used for; sealing and protecting cable (or rope) exposed ends from the likes of damage and wear, chemicals, corrosion and weathering influences. We've recently put together a brand new video which shows you what they are and also provides a quick demonstration on how to apply them (in this case we apply them to the ends of some silicone coated cable).
Click the play button on the video below to check it out, or if you would prefer written instructions on how to apply the end caps, we have included them below the video.
Choosing The Correct Size End Cap
Thankfully, choosing the correct size end cap is quite easy, because there is so much margin for error! Our PVC End caps have a 3:1 shrink ration (i.e. they shrink all the way to 1/3 of their size) so as long as your cable is not smaller than 1/3 of the diameter of the pre-shrunk end cap, then it will fit! If your still not sure your buying the right size then just give us a call and we will help you choose.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Appying Adhesive Lined End Caps
1. Check that you have chosen the correct size end cap (for how to do this, see the paragraph above).
2. Insert the exposed cable end into the open end of the end cap until it can go no further.
3. Use a heat gun or other heat source (open flame can be used, but is not advised) to apply heat directly onto the end cap. Make sure you begin at the closed end of the end cap and continue towards the open end (the end the cable is coming out of).
4. The end cap will begin to shrink, make sure you appy heat evenly around the cable.
5. Once you have got all the way to the end cap, you will know you have achieved a seal when some melted glue extrudes from the open end.
6. The cable end is now sealed and protected against damage.
Swift Supplies stocks a large range of End Caps that will fit cable sized all the way up to 158mm diameter. To place an online order and have them delivered right to your door click the button below to head over to the page...